There are several key archives that we wish to examine and present. These include:
1. Ministry of Transport papers relating to the routing of the Leicestershire section of the M1 motorway housed in the National Archive (TNA MT 121/84)
2. CPRE papers relating to the campaign they mounted against the routing of the M1 through Charnwood Forest kept by the Museum of English Rural Life, Reading(MERL CPRE 27/21)
3. The Leicester Evening Mail. This daily sponsored the raising of a petition against the Charnwood Forest route. The relevant papers for 1957-58 are housed in the British Library Newspapers Archive at Colindale and Leciestershire and Rutland Record Office.
4. Leicester Mercury photograph archive. This is now housed in the Main Library, at the University of Leicester
5. The M1 Archive which has been placed in Northampton Record Office (NRO 2003/86)
But surely the most important archive is the one that we know least about. It is the archive that we can produce if everyone pools their own stories of experiences on the motorway and in LFE services. We hope you will help us to produce this people’s archive which will add significant dimensions to the story we might otherwise tell simpy from the ‘official record’.